[T3] Headliner install guy

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 17:09:55 PDT 2011

In a message dated 10/13/2011 7:47:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
knowonelse at sbcglobal.net writes:

> If  the tear is not near the windshield, how about removing the glass
>  near the tear, and using carpet tape on the top side of the  headliner.

Let me preface this with - I haven't done it, but have  thought a lot about
fixing a small tear in my headliner -

Make a patch  piece of similar material as headliner (vinyl).
Apply contact cement top of  one side of tear.
Apply contact cement to entire patch.
Let both  dry.
Fold patch in half, contact cement side out.
Slide patch in over  cement side of tear and apply to make contact.
Leave patch folded.
Apply  contact cement to other side of tear on top side.
Let dry.
- here is the  tricky part I haven't fully solved -
Apply compression/tension to headliner  to align tear with itself.
Using a very small wire through one of the holes  in the headliner, unfold
the patch over the other side of  patch.

Perhaps use painters tape to pull headliner together prior to  unfolding
patch.

If near enough side to provide access through removed  window seal, reach
up and into space to fold over patch and apply pressure  from both sides to
affix cemented patch and liner.

This might work for  small tears that retain the headliner shape, but
probably not for larger  ones.

A really good carper tape would be easier, but applying the  compression
afterwards is the challenge.

Jeff '67 Sqbk with various  headliner tears

I tried something like that on my 71 Notch. It didn't work, as the old
headliner material is very brittle. This is one of the problems you run into
with older cars. The old headliner might have been nice (no tears), but a
couple  of years later, it gets a small rip, that just continues to grow. The
only way  to really fix that, is replacement.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)