[T3] knocking sound at a hard stop-front of car

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 1 05:55:39 PDT 2011

On 31 Aug 2011 at 22:05, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> IT isnt a single clonk, but yet, it has a cadence to it, only when applying
> brakes.
> The speed slows as the car slows to a stop.

If it's a clonk-clonk-clonk, then I'd suspect a rust spot that the
pads are hitting once per revolution. It's common for the disks to
rust under the pad if the car is parked for a long time. This leaves
a pad-shaped rust spot on the disk that gets hit when you apply the
brakes.

If the rust spot is light, it will wear off. If it's deep, you may
have to turn or replace the rotor to fix it. It's odd, but rust on a
disk turns out to be more rugged than pad material. If it's bad, it
will quickly wear away the pad rather than being worn away itself.

Was the car parked for a long time (months or years) before this
happened?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org