[T3] Rattlesnake noise...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 19:31:24 PDT 2011

I just came into possession of an actual stethoscope...to which I will attach a stiff wire to listen to engine areas. That rattle is not shallow or tinny or leaden.  It's like Real Metal.  Will check that fan is tight, and the surrounding screws.
 But it is just when the idle is too low...as determined by just a little bit of rev to make it go away.   Haven't driven it much since opening up idle just a quarter turn.  The rattle is gone when I'm "hot rodding"...quick acceleration and all that....like on the way to a hospital or something.

Rattlesnake noise...

On 1 Sep 2011 at 15:03, J. Jonik wrote:

> 71' Std.? FI
>
> This isn't about knocking, but about a rattlesnake-like rattle in the
> engine department. ? It happens when Not Quite solidly into one gear or
> another.? It goes away when driving or giving it a little rev.

Not sure what you mean by "not quite solidly into one gear or
another." Does it happen at idle?

> Maybe that's about the idle set a little too low? ? Or is is about lazy
> shifting?? Other?

Probably not an idle issue. Please clarify what effect shifting has
on this.

> ? Valves are set at .005 (if I got that decimal right)...though one
> was a BIT too narrow for the blade, but with some gap.? Readjusted
> now.?? Rattle still happened.

Prob not a valve lash problem.

> ?Question is...what exactly is rattling?? Valves??? If so, why?

You're closer; you'll have to tell us. Get a long screwdriver and
stick it against various parts of the engine with the blunt end in
your ear. Pin down the area where the noise is coming from.

> This isn't a Death Rattle, is it?

Probably not. My first guess is that the 2 screws that attach the fan
housing to the engine case have come loose. They are now rattling
against the fan. I don't know why that noise would go away under some
conditions, however.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org