[T3] Oil Disappearing

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Sep 3 23:27:39 PDT 2011

On 3 Sep 2011 at 21:13, Marklist wrote:

> I have oil disappearing after only a few miles.  I'm only making short
> trips now.  The light only comes on when accelerating or decelerating.
> The level goes below the dipstick it doesn't seem to go much below that.
>    I am going up and down some pretty steep hills.  I've looked
> underneath and oil and road gunk is everywhere.

First, look on top of the engine, toward the front on the left side
of the engine case. If it's wet there, it will look clean, like fresh
oil has washed the case clean, then the oil cooler seals are leaking.

If you don't see it there, run the engine with some newspaper or
cardboard under the engine and look to see where it drips when the
car isn't moving. Let us know what you seel

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org