[T3] great weekend drive

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 23:12:46 PDT 2011

>  One thing to be careful about is that you
> actually torque the CV joint bolts when everything's back together.
> They've been known to come loose on you while driving if you don't
> have the correct spline driver and a torque wrench.

I did have the 12 point star driver and a torque wrench and did them to 25
ft-lbs.  I think I read that right in the Bentley.  If did that wrong,
please tell me.

> I went back to the ethanol-free station and filled again to check the
> > mileage.  34 mpg !  I was very pleased :)  I got 200 miles in before
> > the gauge hit 1/2 a tank.  That sender was recently fixed by Jim so I
> > feel it's fairly accurate.  By the time I filled up, it was slightly
> > under 1/2 a tank and I got 6.35 gallons in it.
>
> Unless this was downhill or downwind both ways, or you were driving
> 40 mi/hr the whole way, your mileage was pretty astonishing for a FI
> '71 and US gallons. I've never done nearly that well without a strong
> tailwind.

I felt that it was tremendous mileage and much better than I expected.  But
I guess if it matters, remember that it was ethanol-free, 92, and I was
driving no more than 60 mph because of the roads that I take to get there
and probably 1/3 of it was around 50 mph.  There was a somewhat of a
tail-wind on the way, but really, I was fighting some buffeting from the
side most of the way there.  I'd basically say "no" to having a tailwind.

> You don't have smaller than stock tires on the front, do you? That
> would skew the odometer reading. I can't think of anything else that
> would give you mileage that good.

 The tires are 165R15 -- not sure if that's stock or not.  Around town, in
normal use, I average about 21 and that's mostly city.  I've been keeping
track for 2200 miles and that's the average.

I'm interested to hear your response Jim because currently, this would be
the best mileage I get out of any of my cars on the highway and that
includes my 96 Jetta.

I'm going to keep driving to this station and running 92 ethanol-free just
to see what the around-the-town mileage is.  I don't mind paying that money
at this point if I'm getting that kind of return on the investment.

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback