[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 7 15:23:51 PDT 2011

On 7 Sep 2011 at 14:23, Cybernotchback wrote:

> You didn't specifically mention this but have you lowered the spring
> plate past the stop and relieved all of the tension off the bar(s)?
> If not that will prevent you from pulling the spring plate off the
> bar.  Just too much force on the joint(s) to allow the bar to slip out
> of either end easily.

It's a catch 22: You have to pull it out maybe 2 cm before you can
lower it back down below the stop. So breaking it loose must be done
with all the tension still on it. Once it's lowered you're right: It
should be easy then.

I've got good purchase with a good crowbar, but it just doesn't seem
like it's enough. Maybe I'll see if a friend has a longer bar; mine
is only about 2' long. I get the impression that all I need is about
double the leverage, unless there's some other trick.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org