[T3] Camber Problems

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 15 21:46:02 PDT 2011

On 15 Sep 2011 at 21:08, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> Regarding my camber issues:  I took the 'new' beam out of my SUV today
> and put it in the garage.  First thing I noticed was that the long tie
> rod on the right side was straight.  The one on the beam now has a bend
> right in the middle of it.  I didn't have another to compare it to, and
> thought it was there to clear the frame head.  So, now I'm thinking that
> whatever happened to bend the tie rod like that was enough to
> damage/bend something else on that side resulting in my out of whack camber.

Yes, they are supposed to be straight. Sounds like you may have other
parts bent.

The most likely accident would be a curb strike, where the wheel
slides sideways against the curb. That would be most likely to bend a
lower torsion arm, and if it hit the wheel to the rear of center it
could also bend the tie rod.

Sounds like you're on your way to a solution. Keep us posted on what
you find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org