[T3] Fuel Filter & Overheating

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 15:33:59 PDT 2011

Were 71 type-3s still carbed in the UK?

Max Welton

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/

--- On Tue, 9/20/11, Dave Hall <dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

From: Dave Hall <dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [T3] Fuel Filter & Overheating
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 4:02 AM

The stock '69 is fuel injected, so that is unlikely to see a vapour lock
problem.  The ring main will be purged of the vapour from local hot-spots
very quickly.

My stock '71 is carbed and I don't remember having problems like this, but
as I said, I doubt we get the heat or height to be troublesome here.  I
recall being in Yosemite in the mid-60s with a rental Impala (pillarless -
remember them?) and we (well, my Dad as I was a teenager then) had an
episode of vapour lock.  Incidentally, there is a lot of concern in the UK
with using petrol (gas) with ethanol in light aircraft, rather than the
usual avgas, due to the increased chance of a vapour lock at higher temps
and altitudes, as the vapour pressure of the ethanol mixture is lower, so
evaporates easier.

Pushing rather than 'sucking' the fuel certainly helps.

Keith's info about his mechanical fuel pump diagnosis makes interesting
reading (as usual of course!).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club