[T3] Rattle in Engine Area...

crash 69 dhbadeer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:45:51 PDT 2011

Maybe this will help you.......

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM, J. Jonik <j_jonik at yahoIn a message dated
9/1/2011 6:04:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

71'  Std.  FI

This isn't about knocking, but about a rattlesnake-like  rattle in the
engine department.
It happens when Not Quite solidly  into one gear or another.  It goes away
when driving or giving it a  little rev.

Question is...what exactly is rattling?   Valves?   If so, why?

It sounds like 1 of the small screws that hold the aluminum cooling  shroud
has backed out a little, and is hitting the back (front) of the fan. If you
caught this early, then you can prevent possible damage to the cooling fan.
If you just let it be, then it'll back out and start sounding very loud, and
will grind a groove in the fan.

One other possibility is that the generator bearings are starting to go (too
much dust and dirt causing the wear). A quick way to check, is to remove the
belt, and see IF the noise is still there. I hope this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)