[T3] great weekend drive

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 17:03:29 PDT 2011

Yes, it's the electrodes and centre insulator that is important.  The black
at the edges just shows rich burning on warm up that's burnt off where the
heat is concentrated in normal running.

I would say they look more like my watercooled plugs where the engine is
designed to run lean, than the normal colour for my Type 3s.  However, I've
run diesels for quite a few years now so haven't seen w/c plugs for a while.

I suspect you may be running a bit lean.  I wonder if the resistance of the
cylinder head temperature sensor is a bit on the low side.  I hesitate to
suggest you adjust anything until you've done more miles, as it's running
well, you say.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club