[T3] great weekend drive

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Sep 24 20:27:57 PDT 2011

On 24 Sep 2011 at 12:23, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Ok, just returned from a 30-45 minute drive running errands.  I pulled a
> spark plug and here's photos of it's condition.  I'm not too good at knowing
> what it should look like normally or what it would look like if it was
> running lean.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/W9DATbMjFMdymPmLT060TIf_qYKoZb-Wp8u9KAAaYRU?feat=directlink
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n_v7t4RD0L8UeJGl1-eL7of_qYKoZb-Wp8u9KAAaYRU?feat=directlink
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qpi-1wktQpKLTdQQI70ny4f_qYKoZb-Wp8u9KAAaYRU?feat=directlink
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/89bjJJ0vBYWYjPAldbEswIf_qYKoZb-Wp8u9KAAaYRU?feat=directlink
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sXXsdTH5XS_II8wcQOIakYf_qYKoZb-Wp8u9KAAaYRU?feat=directlink

You are looking for the color of the inside end of the ceramic
insulator. Yours look a bit light to me, but that could be due to new
plugs and not enough driving time. There's no sign of melting of the
sharp corners of the ground electrode, nor are there beads of melted
stuff on the insulator, so that's good news.

Your one tank of high gas mileage certainly sounded extreme, but I'd
wait to see if it repeats.

My last tank got 12 mi/gal. I don't understand that, either. It's so
low that I suspect my tank got syphoned, because otherwise it should
be leaking out somewhere, but I see no drips. My VR is regulating
nicely, but maybe I need to check the timing again. I've been having
some trouble with the timing moving, so maybe that's it, or perhaps
it's just a fluke of some sort and will never happen again. If I get
2 tanks in a row like this, then I'm worried.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org