[T3] Rattlesnake noise...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 1 18:36:12 PDT 2011

On 1 Sep 2011 at 15:03, J. Jonik wrote:

> 71' Std.  FI
>
> This isn't about knocking, but about a rattlesnake-like rattle in the
> engine department.   It happens when Not Quite solidly into one gear or
> another.  It goes away when driving or giving it a little rev.

Not sure what you mean by "not quite solidly into one gear or
another." Does it happen at idle?

> Maybe that's about the idle set a little too low?   Or is is about lazy
> shifting?  Other?

Probably not an idle issue. Please clarify what effect shifting has
on this.

>   Valves are set at .005 (if I got that decimal right)...though one
> was a BIT too narrow for the blade, but with some gap.  Readjusted
> now.   Rattle still happened.

Prob not a valve lash problem.

>  Question is...what exactly is rattling?  Valves?   If so, why?

You're closer; you'll have to tell us. Get a long screwdriver and
stick it against various parts of the engine with the blunt end in
your ear. Pin down the area where the noise is coming from.

> This isn't a Death Rattle, is it?

Probably not. My first guess is that the 2 screws that attach the fan
housing to the engine case have come loose. They are now rattling
against the fan. I don't know why that noise would go away under some
conditions, however.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org