[T3] car died on way home

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 15:26:25 PDT 2012

> Check the firewall connection first. This is a 1 to 1 connector. Make
> sure the male plug is actually inserted INSIDE the female connector,
> not just alongside it.

I assume you are talking about this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KTNKLl8fiToO2nB57XvsnIPzRPyaTi1k3_CXsmyzTuY?feat=directlink

If so, I checked as best I could for proper connections.  First of all, I
have never taken this connector apart, nor has anyone else since I've had
this car running for 2-3 years now.  I find that connector hard to
understand.  Why so big and bulky?  How do you actually get the wires out
of there?  I was very hesitant to pull too hard to unseat anything and
re-seat it.  I am thinking that it's ok.  I shined a light on the connector
and tried to look thru the amberish plastic.  I see a female connector in
there that appears to have a male plug inserted in it.

> If that connection is good, remove the connector from the brain and
> look in the opening. Turn the box so that the PC board is on the
> bottom with the connector slot facing you. On the right side, about 2-
> 3" in, there will be a metal case transistor with a heat sink on it.
> Push gently on the heat sink to see if the transistor will move
> easily sideways in any direction. Just gently. It will feel stiff in
> all directions if all 3 legs are intact.

Ok, is this what you are talking about?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LgBJzcjoYBb7q0R66CQBuIPzRPyaTi1k3_CXsmyzTuY?feat=directlink

If so, I am not sure what to make of it's situation.  I press on the whole
unit (transistor and heat sink).  It moves.  BUT, I think it's the heat
sink that is moving.  Does the heat sink have  a foam core of some sort?
 It seems to be loosely seated on the transistor.  When I push, I feel that
I'm actually wiggling the heat sink and not the transistor.  I tried to
look at the base of the transistor and see if it was actually moving or
not.  Hard to say.  Those are tight quarters.

Is there a way to test the continuity of this part of the circuit using the
brain connections that are all exposed now?  Or, is the heat sink removable
so that I can better see the transistor and possible movement?

> It could also be a problem internal to the transistor, but there's no
> easy way for you to check that. I would have to send you another
> brain to try to see if that fixes it.

I have a "D" brain.  If swapping one out is what needs to happen next, let
me know if you have a "D" and how we'd go about that one Jim.

Thanks so much for the help thus far!

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback FI/MT