[T3] car died on way home

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 8 16:00:56 PDT 2012

On 8 Apr 2012 at 15:26, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> > Check the firewall connection first. This is a 1 to 1 connector. Make
> > sure the male plug is actually inserted INSIDE the female connector,
> > not just alongside it.

> I assume you are talking about this:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KTNKLl8fiToO2nB57XvsnIPzRPyaTi1k3_CXsmyzTuY?feat=directlink

Yes, that's the one. I always have a hard time figuring out which end
I should pull on. The female end is the one that should come out, and
it looks to me like that's on the right in your photo. You could also
try looking IN the right end, to make sure the male and female are
doing their thing properly. If they seem tight, they are almost
certainly connected correctly.

> > If that connection is good, remove the connector from the brain and
> >  look in the opening.

> Ok, is this what you are talking about?
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LgBJzcjoYBb7q0R66CQBuIPzRPyaTi1k3_CXsmyzTuY?feat=directlink

;-) Yes, that's it, there on the right with the heat sink on it. The
heat sink is just gripped on that metal cased transistor by spring
force. You could actually slip it off, but it might be hard to get
back on in those close quarters. I think that if there was a problem
with the transistor leads it would have been obvious.

> Is there a way to test the continuity of this part of the circuit using the
> brain connections that are all exposed now?  Or, is the heat sink removable
> so that I can better see the transistor and possible movement?

Disconnect the points wire from the coil to prevent damage to the
points. With the brain disconnected and the key ON, use a jumper and
a small screwdriver to short wire #19 (in the brain connector) to
ground. You should hear the pump run. The pump should run as long as
#19 is shorted. If the pump falters while you have #19 shorted to
ground, there is a problem outside the brain, probably somewhere in
the wiring between the brain connector and the relay.

Reconnect the points wire when you're done.  ;-)

> I have a "D" brain.  If swapping one out is what needs to happen next, let
> me know if you have a "D" and how we'd go about that one Jim.

I doubt if it will come to that, but I can sell you a D brain and
then buy it back if that turns out not to be the problem. You'd just
be out the shipping and a bit more.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org