[T3] car died on way home

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 8 16:07:38 PDT 2012

On 8 Apr 2012 at 18:00, Jim Adney wrote:

> Disconnect the points wire from the coil to prevent damage to the
> points. With the brain disconnected and the key ON, use a jumper and
> a small screwdriver to short wire #19 (in the brain connector) to
> ground. You should hear the pump run. The pump should run as long as
> #19 is shorted. If the pump falters while you have #19 shorted to
> ground, there is a problem outside the brain, probably somewhere in
> the wiring between the brain connector and the relay.

I should also mention that you might want to try to tighten up the
#19 connection so that it grips the PC board a bit more tightly. Be
careful, it's easy to slip and bend that connector too much. I think
you can do this with a very small screwdriver, like you'd use on
eyeglass screws.

Also, I've never seen a problem with the wire itself, between here
and the relay, unless there's some crash damage that's beat up the
harness.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org