[T3] Window rubber

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 06:00:32 PDT 2012

In a message dated 4/9/2012 11:38:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
skellzangelz at hotmail.com writes:

It  sounds like Bob's experience with modifying the T1 outer scraper onto
the  original trim is better than my trying the reproduction Brazilian ones
with  rubber and trim all in one.  In the end, after struggling to get it to
fit right (and actually messing it up in haste and rain...), I found that
the  scraper left a 1/8" gap between the window and rubber.  I pulled it all
back out again and upon closer inspection found that the rubber piece was
actually considerably thinner than the original.  So, I wound up putting
the old one back in and it's been doing OK (although not quite as well as
before...)

The other thing I had some trouble with was removing the  long (goes up
side and across top of door) felt channel.  Since I was  replacing mine, it
didn't matter if it got bungled but getting it loose and  slid out of the long
edge of the door (where it latches) was tricky.  All  in all, if it's your
first time, I'd reserve a day's worth of time for it and  make sure you've
got a garage or fair weather.

On my 65, it has the Brazilian rubber there instead of a bug rubber. It's
also about a 1/2 inch short in meeting the wing window, due to the design of
the  Brazilian type 3 it came from. I tried this back in 2001 when I was
rebuilding  the car (using the Brazilian t-3 scraper), and quickly found the
shapes were all  wrong. This led me to drilling the rivets and just using the
rubber. It worked  out pretty good, other than being short. The next car I
did, I used 68 and later  bug scrapers, and found that the rubber is
slightly longer than a t-3 uses, so  it just needed minor trimming. That worked out
great.

The long glass run channel piece is really something that you want to keep
t-3, as the bug piece is about 3 to 4 inches too short. It's not that big a
 deal, other than it doesn't reach the last clip near the bottom of the
door (on  the latch guard). Some 3M weatherstrip adhesive takes care of that.

But yes, replacing the door scraper does take some time to do. It's not
just disassembling the door, but also the time needed to replace the rubber on
 the scraper, before you can put it all back together.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)