[T3] car died on way home

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 14 15:16:06 PDT 2012

On 14 Apr 2012 at 13:52, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> > Try this: Turn the key on, and verify that both coil terminals (in
> > the plastic housing) are "hot" (leave the wires plugged into the
> > relay.)

> Both were hot

> > If that's okay, go to the engine compartment and use a wire to short
> > between ground and the connectors inside that 2-wire connector in the
> > engine compartment.That should make the pump run.

> It did, the pump ran fine.

> > If it does, remove the brain (again) and, under the same conditions,
> > short wire 19 to ground. That should also make the pump run.

> It did, the pump ran fine.

> >  You DID tighten up the #19 connection to the PC board, didn't you?

> Yes I did.  That didn't help.

At this point you've narrowed it down to something in the brain. None
of those extra tests are important at this point. Your ground is
okay.

> Does anyone in Portland, OR have a "D" brain I can borrow for an afternoon
> ???  :)

It doesn't even have to be a D. Anything A thru E would work for this
test, although a C or D would let you drive it around a bit to make
sure there's not something intermittent.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org