[T3] Bosch regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 24 15:45:28 PDT 2012

On 24 Apr 2012 at 12:51, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> After replacing the brain, I now seem to have a low flicker in my generator
> light at warm idle.  Hardly noticeable right now.  I have the electronic VR
> too.  About 1-2 years on that now.
>
> Is this related to the brain swap or just coincidence?

Seems most likely to be coincidence, but it's possible that the new
brain is drawing excess current for some reason. I never thought
about it before, but there's no fuse on that circuit. I have a meter
that can clamp around a wire and measure the DC current. If you were
here it would be interesting to measure yours and compare it with
mine.

I've never measured this current on any car. I'll try to do this, and
report the result.

If the new brain has changed the idle, as Keith suggested, that's a
possible cause, but it would make me wonder why this happened. I
wouldn't expect this, so it makes me wonder what was done during that

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org