[T3] Alternators for T-3's...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 17:55:04 PDT 2012

In a message dated 4/27/2012 8:24:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

Well, I  know not everybody agree's with me but I gotta say, I think its
just
a  waste of time and money going to an alternator especially with a stock
or
near stock car.  Yes, alternators are more efficient but ya know,  when I
had
the T4 engine in it with the Bosch alternator I still didn't  have positive
charging at idle and could see no difference in any of the  electric's over
the stock T3 generator and I have lots of extra loads on  the system like
dual beam headlights, foglights, power windows, and a whole  trailer full of
lights that gets pulled for hours at a time in the  summer.

I do need to replace brushes every 40K mi or so, but that's  cheap and easy.

Just my opinion...

Well for some, the idea of going to an alternator is that it provides a
stable voltage for the FI. Others like the idea of it charging the battery at
idle, while it might appeal to some that it's cheaper than buying a t-3
rebuilt  one, who's quality is iffy.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)