[T3] conversion back to fi a success - status update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 2 20:37:04 PDT 2012

On 2 Aug 2012 at 21:15, steve crispino wrote:

> As I mentioned to Dave, the car doesn't have all that much power.
> Investigation has shown that the mechanical advance on the distributor
> is not working.  The cam is not freely moving on the drive shaft.  Once
> disassembled, I was able to get it freed with a some PB Blaster and a
> bit of manipulation.  However, I'm doubtful it will loosen up enough
> to make it operational.

This is a fairly common problem with Bosch distributors if they don't
get a yearly drop of oil in the felt pad in the top of the dist
shaft. It's one of these things you should really let me do, because
there are lots of pitfalls along the way, and a number of things you
won't know to fix on your own.

I charge $50, plus return shipping and the cost of any necessary
major parts, to rebuild a distributor. It's a bargain and major parts
are seldom necessary, and certainly not necessary to free up the mech
adv. I realize that now is too late for this weekend. In the
meantime, you can try a couple drops of oil in there and see if it
will loosen up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org