[T3] conversion back to fi a success - status update

steve crispino steve.crispino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:15:39 PDT 2012

As I mentioned to Dave, the car doesn't have all that much power.
 Investigation has shown
that the mechanical advance on the distributor is not working.  The cam is
not freely moving
on the drive shaft.  Once disassembled, I was able to get it freed with a
some PB Blaster and a
bit of manipulation.  However, I'm doubtful it will loosen up enough to
make it operational.

My thought was to pull the cam off the drive shaft and polish the corrosion
off.  However, there's
a pesky little circlip at the top of the shaft for which I do not have an
obvious removal tool at my
disposal.

I'm still under the gun as it has to make it to our 22nd show this Sunday.
 Any suggestions?

> The pressure was really only at 22 before this weekend, so obviously there
> was a big difference once we bumped it up.

Yes, that's a huge difference.

> It was then I could feel with my finger over the epoxy-less PS screw
> that is was sucking air there. I know there is a diaphram inside the
> PS, and if it's sucking air thru the screw - to me that means the
> diaphram is leaking; therefore it can't move the way it is intended.

There's no diaphram in the '69-9 PS, only in the middle generation
'70-1s, but the lack of epoxy means that it's been tampered with. The
tampering, plus the air leak, should make the rest of the difference,
at least after it gets a fresh tuneup and valve adj.

> Steve said he was going to open up the old PS and see what he can see.

I can recalibrate it for him if he's interested. I reseal the screw
afterwards and that should give him a good spare.

> *BTW, don't forget to install the Belleville washers. They are a
> *"must" in the '68-9 FI cars.  ;-)
>
> Steve said he was going to do this.

Good, otherwise he'll be looking at an unexplained problem a couple
months from now.