[T3] cylinder head, rings and mufflers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 3 07:07:36 PDT 2012

On 3 Aug 2012 at 6:46, ken2k wrote:

> i may have missed some responses as some of these go to spam. i am
> replacing the cylinder head because of a bad valve as previously
> mentioned.

I really wouldn't replace the head just because of a bad valve.
Replace the valve, or all the exhaust valves, and get the seats
touched up.

> since the engine was rebuilt it blows out a large blue cloud when
> starting up after sitting for a while. i assume the rings were set
> wrong and figured i would take a look at them while i had the engine
> down but as someone mentioned that can lead to more problems.

I would just leave this alone. It's not really a problem unless you
notice that your oil consumption is high, more than a quart per 1000
miles.

> i need to replace the muffler. any recommendations on after
> market mufflers?? something discreet that might improve performance.

I used "performance" mufflers for years until I got tired of the poor
fit and the resulting constant need to retighten the seals. I finally
went back to the OE style and have been much happier for the past 20
years. They cost more, but last MUCH longer. I have all the parts.

If you really want something "fancy" I have a sound, but rusty, 4-tip
muffler that you can have for the shipping. It came on a car I bought
and I took it off after hitting my shins on the exhaust tips a few
times.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org