[T3] Squareback Rebuild (Re: Replacing fuel lines & injectors)

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:58:32 PDT 2012

-----Original message-----
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Tue, Aug 7, 2012 13:12:16 PDT
Subject: Re: [T3] Replacing fuel lines & injectors

On 7 Aug 2012 at 10:00, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> > From: jadney at vwtype3.org

> > On 6 Aug 2012 at 14:31, Adriel Rowley wrote:
> >
> > > The trouble with them is the worm drive can cut into the rubber when
> > > they are properly tightened.
> >
> > If you tighten them that hard, that would be IMproperly tightened.
> > They don't need to be nearly that tight.
> >
> Then why did they leak air and/or gasoline? The 7mm hoses from the rip
> off shop especially did. Maybe the too tightness caused improper sealing?

Yes, overtightening can certainly pucker up the ID and cause leaks.

I meant pucker because the I.D. is too small, as went to 7.5mm in about '69.

> The air might have been due to the fact that 5/16" hose doesn't work for
> the M.P.S. hose. Just one of the many things that need to be done
> properly (sealed it with rubber in a tube)... Maybe need to start a new
> topic...

The pressure sensor hose never came with clamps on it. Just slip it
on and it will seal.

As usual, I am special and the hose never did seal. The manifold nipple is
approximately a 1/4" so 5/16" is not right. I am shamed to say that was
several years ago...

On that note, I have a good bit saved, so making progress on getting enough
to do the rebuild. First hurdle will be getting it from San Diego to Mesa,
Arizona. Thinking best to ship it considering the rust and new engine. I was
going to sell it, but no market and Vater doesn't want it sold.

Once in Mesa, it will undergo a lot of body work especially to fix the rust.
Might even rewire. Also planning on building another engine with less
camshaft lift. I sure messed that up...

Thank you!
Adriel