[T3] GPS recommendations?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 05:51:47 PDT 2012

In a message dated 8/10/2012 7:32:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

After  spending some time in other people's Type 3s at the CS
Invasion, I'm  thinking it's time to look into buying my own GPS. What
do you folks  recommend?

There are a LOT of choices out there and a wide price range.  I'd like
to keep my cost down, and I don't want to be stuck with something  I'm
sorry I bought. What do you like and dislike? What should I look for
or avoid? What features do you find useful/not useful?

Not totally  Type 3 related, but I promise to use it in my Type  3s.

I think a lot of them were built into their cell phones (there's an app for
 that) Jim. At least that's how it seemed to me. I really don't know which
to  suggest, as I'm more like you, in that I'd rather have a paper map to
give me  directions with, but then I was raised on reading maps. Granted, I've
only been  using a cell phone for 5 years now, and it's still a dumb phone
(not a smart  phone). Technology is great, but sometimes it gets stuff wrong
too. :O

I think you'd have to figure out what you want from it, before you know
what kind to buy, as there are so many different types and styles out there,
and  some  need to be upgraded every so often. I think Scott (the owner of
the  68 diesel Fastback) said they even have some that show pictures of the
area  (like landmarks) that you can use as a visual reference.

I know John uses a Blackberry (cell phone), and while it might show streets
 and such, it's still not 100% right. I think Brian has 1 too, and they
both use  it for internet as well.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)