[T3] GPS recommendations?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 05:46:14 PDT 2012

I bought a cheap one in the UK, which works fine if you check it isn't
sending you a silly route just to stay on motorways.  It has virtually no
database info for things like shops, garages, some museums etc.  It gets
easier to use with practice, but if I felt I really needed a GPS, I'd get
one with a good name and database, so it's more useful than just finding an
address.

The old Garmin we borrowed a couple of years ago in the USA had a very
useful database, restaurants, hotels, shops, gas stations, tire shops etc.
It does help you not to get lost, or finds you if you do get lost!  Watch
out for database errors - roads that don't actually exist etc!

In Colorado, with Anne as navigator we didn't really need to pay for one
from the rental company, but it could have been handy the odd time.
Single-handed navigation needs some planning, and .

Dave,
UK VW Type 3&4 Club