[T3] GPS recommendations?

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Fri Aug 10 08:14:27 PDT 2012

On 8/10/12 4:32 AM, Jim Adney wrote:
> After spending some time in other people's Type 3s at the CS
> Invasion, I'm thinking it's time to look into buying my own GPS. What
> do you folks recommend?
>
> There are a LOT of choices out there and a wide price range. I'd like
> to keep my cost down, and I don't want to be stuck with something I'm
> sorry I bought. What do you like and dislike? What should I look for
> or avoid? What features do you find useful/not useful?
>
> Not totally Type 3 related, but I promise to use it in my Type 3s.

I've had a Garmin Nuvi 265 in my Ford for a few years.  I liked it so
much I bought another 265 just for my Fastback.  It's a few years old
now and no longer available new, so I bought it complete on eBay (in box
with all accessories) for around $65.  I have it mounted with the
suction cup right at the bottom of the window just above the center of
the speaker grill in the dash.  I don't use the battery at all, it's
wired into a 12v cigarette lighter under the dash using a USB adapter.

I'm addicted to the Garmin.  :)  The features are really nice.  If you
tap the small speed on the main screen it will display a large, and very
accurate, speed screen with trip settings.  I use it to calculate gas
mileage.  I also know my real speed because my shorter tires make my
speedo off by about 7 mph.

It's extremely user friendly, if you know the address you're going to,
it will calculate the shortest route and est. arrival time, which is
surprisingly very accurate.

The locations feature is really useful too, it will find gas stations,
restaurants, and just about anything.

The only problem is the map updates.  Garmin puts out 4 a year and they
get expensive.  But you can get a lifetime updates as already
mentioned.  I think you'll have that issue with any brand you choose.