[T3] GPS recommendations?

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 13:34:25 PDT 2012

Another Garmin user here. In fact both my kids and my wife each have one.

Along with the basic navigation function, mine also backs up the speedometer (which reads a constant 2-3 MPH high) and gives me such interesting information as average moving time, moving speed and maximum speed. It also gives total miles traveled, but my odometer has less than 1% error so I don't really use that.

As I get older, being able to know street names coming up before I can read the street signs themselves (esp in the rain or dark) is very nice.

If I miss a turn or exit or have to divert around road construction, the Garmin "recalculates" the route. Not that I would EVER miss a turn. ... ;-)

My son's Garmin is the oldest and displays the speed limit. The other three do not.

Sometimes map flaws can do interesting things. There are a few local roads that are missing from the map. So the Garmin can't display them or include them in its route planning. According to the Garmin, my old gym had no roads leading to it at all. :-D

The Garmin (as do others I presume) has a "home" button that can be set to simply get you home from where-ever you are. Which means if someone steals your car, the Garmin will take them directly to your unguarded house.

Once you get used to having a dash-top navigator, it's tough to go back.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/