[T3] Spent some time with the Crate...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 14 21:06:39 PDT 2012

On 13 Aug 2012 at 21:36, Keith Park wrote:

> Set the points gap, set the timing to 10BTDC, sync'd the carbs, cleaned the
> plugs, checked the wires, cap and rotor..  Still hates starting hot.
> Sometimes it cranks slow, sometimes not, when it does start it runs fine
> although there is an intermittent miss. I think the left carb may have a
> leaky float seat, I need to check that out.

Do me a favor (rememer, you OWE me!) and time it to 5 BTDC at idle,
and see if that improves anything.

> Anybody else notice that the hash marks on the 100MPH S speedos (64-5 only)
> don't line up with the MPH readings?

I've no experience with those, but I sometimes get early speedos that
have been taken apart and assembled improperly. I've even done it
myself, as Dave can attest.

There is a little dimple that must be aligned with a tit on the hash
plate. If you flip the plate over that dimple can still be aligned,
but the hash marks will be wrong (that's what I did.)

Or the dimple and tit can be ignored and forced together wrong.

Either way will leave things screwed up.

BTW, any luck with your clock that ran too fast?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org