[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 20 09:20:08 PDT 2012

On 20 Aug 2012 at 7:33, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Last night I cranked her over for the first time (using a
> new battery) and . . . sure enough, she fired right up.

> Now what?

Let it run a little longer, running at various rpms, until it's well
warmed up. Then change the oil and lube the 4 zerks on the front
beam. If you just changed the oil, check the brakes and drive it a
bit, if possible, then change the oil a second time.

For oil, I've found that I can buy diesel engine oil that meets
earlier (better for us) gasoline engine ratings. Look for 15W-30
diesel oil that also meets (look on the back) the SL, IIRC, rating.
This stuff is actually pretty cheap if you buy generic in a 2 gal
jug. I think I just paid $18 for 2 gal.

As a basic check that the FI system is hooked up correctly, verify
that you hear a relay click when you turn the kay ON and then a
second click ~1 second later.

The first maintenance thing you should probably do would be to fix
the most likely broken overflow hose on your gas tank. For your '72
the kits cost $30 from me. This will keep dirt and water out of your
gas tank.

The Pertronix should be fine, but check the timing anyway, and note
that the '72 requires a special timing proceedure which can ONLY be
found in the brown Bentley manual. Follow it carefully.

With the engine warmed up after a drive, check the voltage at the
battery with the engine running at medium rpm. It should be 14.1-14.4
V. If it is lower than 13.5 V, you NEED a new voltage regulator. This
is a common failure item that often gets overlooked. Low voltage will
give poor (overly rich) running and terrible gas mileage.

Good luck and happy to have you back,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org