[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 07:30:12 PDT 2012

So just to give an update and to seek additional help, this is where I am
now:

The car still starts up (first crank, usually), but it is a challenge to
keep it idling. It sounds like it is running on all 4, with the occasional
miss and the engine eventually slows down until it dies.  I can give it
some gas, which works to warm it up.  If I give it just a little gas, it
usually stalls out and dies.  If I floor it and keep the gas at
mid-throttle, it revs nicely and idles just fine at that high RPM (no
misses).

After warming it up, I've had it idle for a minute or so, whereby I shut it
down myself.  I have got this to only occur once or twice.

This is what I've done since I started work on the engine:
 - Replaced every fuel line
 - Replaced spark plugs
 - Checked valve clearances (all were still good from 7 years ago)

I'm curious if my idle problems now are due to timing (which I find
difficult to adjust without a steady idle) or something else
(loose/corroded ground).  I'm hoping I can get some advice on how best to
troubleshoot this issue.  The valves/timing were spot on 7 years ago, so I
was glad to see the valves still correct and am curious if the timing
really could have changed just by sitting in a garage.

Any advice or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.  Thank
you,

Jacob