[T3] First week of school new video

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 27 12:58:20 PDT 2012

On 27 Aug 2012 at 12:53, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/27/2012 11:00:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> >  Looks good, take one of your muffler donuts though and make sure it  fits
> > nice and tightly on that heaterbox outlet, if there is any slop  there
> > because the outlet is rusty you'll never get a good seal  there.  This has
> > been a problem on my 71 for a long  time!
>
> You can wrap that narrowed section with a thin alum strip until  it's
> large enough that the muffler donut is tight around it. Cut it into
> strips just a little wider than the donut. Wrap it tight, so it won't
> crush much. I use thin alum flashing sheet and I also have some much
> thicker than normal alum foil. Standard alum foil doesn't hold up
> well. If you do this at the same time as you install the muffler, you
> can also put some muffler paste in there, but muffler paste by itself
> won't hold up.
>
> This is one of those places that I use a Hi-Temp silicone, like "Ultra
> Copper" from Permatex. It might not be the "correct way" to fix this, but it
> does work. : )

I don't think there IS an affordable "correct" way. Anything that
works is good. Is the silicone strong enough, or do you do the sheet
alum thing, like I do, and then seal around that with the silicone.

I'd love to have a good solution, but I figured the silicone would be
too weak and would not take the heat. I might try that next time.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org