[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 27 22:27:28 PDT 2012

On 27 Aug 2012 at 17:57, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> So after adjusting the idle (using the adjustment screw on the AID) to be
> around 900 RPM, I have some updated numbers.  I had to back the idle
> adjustment screw back about a whole turn.  This seemed excessive to me, but
> it is not idling at a sustainable rpm again.
>
> The measurement at the fuel pump relay (red wire on pin 87) is now over 12
> volts (12.6) at idle.  The battery voltage reads in the high 13s.

This sounds fine, except that the voltage should never have fallen
below 12 V. I'm guessing that your battery isn't very well charged.
Leave it on a charger, on the lowest setting, for several days.

> While the engine was idling around 900 rpm, it sounded great.  I unplugged
> the injector at each cylinder and heard a small (but noticeable) drop in
> rpm that quickly picked up once I connected the injector again.

It's a lot easier to pull SP wires off the dist cap. You can do this
safely if you aren't touching any other part of the car at the same
time.

> Now that the car is running, I have a few new issues I have discovered
> (please let me know if I should post these in new threads, or if this is
> OK):
>
> (1) When I step on the gas, I notice a few second delay before the RPM
> picks up.  Once it does, it takes another few seconds for the RPM to slow
> down.  So if I punch the pedal to the floor, the pedal has returned to its
> normal state before the RPM picks up, a few seconds more before the RPM
> slows back back.  I'm not sure if this is a concern, it just seems
> different than I remember.

It's probably normal, unless your '72 isn't timed right. Make sure
you've got it set up according to the special '72-only instructions
in the brown Bentley manual. No other manual gets this right.

> (2) Dieseling.  Once I shut off the engine, the engine stops, then diesels
> a few more revs.

That's pretty odd. I've only seen that in cars with CDI ignitions,
where there's stored energy in the CDI capacitor even after the
ignition is turned off. You don't have a CDI, do you?

It doesn't sound like you've run your engine long or hard enough to
develop hot carbon spots that would cause dieseling. If that's your
problem, it may be loose carbon that will burn off once you run the
engine a bit. Carbon deposits are a fact of life, and they do
sometimes get loose from parts stored for a long time.

Get it out for a drive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org