[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:42:02 PDT 2012

> > (2) Dieseling.  Once I shut off the engine, the engine stops, then
> diesels
> > a few more revs.
>
> That's pretty odd. I've only seen that in cars with CDI ignitions,
> where there's stored energy in the CDI capacitor even after the
> ignition is turned off. You don't have a CDI, do you?
>
> It doesn't sound like you've run your engine long or hard enough to
> develop hot carbon spots that would cause dieseling. If that's your
> problem, it may be loose carbon that will burn off once you run the
> engine a bit. Carbon deposits are a fact of life, and they do
> sometimes get loose from parts stored for a long time.
>
> Get it out for a drive.

No, I do not have a CDI.  The only "non stock" part on this car is the
Pertronix electronic points.  I'm thinking about ditching those and going
back to the standard points & condenser because there is some noticeable
wear on the Pertronix-specific rotor that looks concerning.

As for potential carbon build up, you are correct that I have not run it
long or hard enough (recently) to develop hot carbon spots.  Perhaps 7
years ago I did, but not recently -- I vaguely remember the occasional
dieseling issue back then, but even then it was only very seldom and I
think I fixed it then (don't remember how).  While likely unrelated, I
noticed some black (solid, flaky) particulate spewed out of the muffler.  I
assume that is just build up and corrosion that has sloughed off the inside
of the exhaust system.  I have a NOS type 3 exhaust that I'm waiting to use
when the time is right.

 Getting it out for a drive (just in the neighborhood) is my next short
term goal.

Jacob