[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 28 19:38:05 PDT 2012

On 28 Aug 2012 at 21:11, Keith Park wrote:

> I don't honestly remember, but was told this when I was setting up my LC1 in
> the Square, it had something to do with where the exaust was hottest.

On the OE style mufflers that DON'T have the best OE internal
construction, the upper right would be the hottest place, closest to
the cylinder, but that still comes after the upper heat exchanger, so
I don't know how well it would work with a Lambda sensor.

A Lambda sensor would work better with an extractor exhaust, where it
could be installed right outside the exhaust port. In that case, #4
might be the better choice, since there is more room there, but #2
might work just as well.

There are other types of fuel/air sensors that need cool gas to work
properly. That's what the emission stations would use, when they
stick a sampling tube up the tailpipe. I have a Heathkit that does
that, but it doesn't work very well. I think I need to add a voltage
regulator to it, to make it stable.

The Lambda sensors also just pretty much just have 3 states: rich,
just right, and lean. They don't tell you how rich or how lean. The
cool gas sensors work better at that.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org