[T3] New to List, Hello! Question or questions...

jaredkohler at gmail.com jaredkohler at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 15:58:57 PDT 2012

Hello Fellow Type 3 folks!

Our 1970 Fastback is back on the road!

When purchased, the previous owner had installed a Type 1 engine and
'moth-balled' the original FI engine. Never discovered why! Ugh! After a
few years of parts-hunting, researching, headaches and scrounging a
complete 1971 FI engine from a wrecked Square; the old Fasty is driving
once again with ALL the popper goods!

Now, she seems to run hot. How do I know? Well, it 'smells' hot after a
nice jog down the road. Feels hot too of course. I know this sounds silly.
Just something I'm sensing. Also, the Fasty can be 'slightly' hard to start
after a good jog. Several cranks, then slow to come up to idle. Then runs
fine thereafter.

Here's another indicator perhaps...

The wife and I went to a VW show a month back. A 3 hour drive in 80+ degree
weather. The drive up was fine, but the drive back she felt different. It
was hotter weather too. The transmission even got a tad tough to shift
during the drive! Oil full. Now that she's cooled off, normal shifting and
driving as before!

Anyone have similar symptoms? Am I crazy? Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jared Kohler

Moss Beach, CA