[T3] The Crate's engine

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Aug 31 18:59:37 PDT 2012

Well yesterday I knocked the timing back on the crate to 5BTDC as per Jim's
suggestion and when I went to drive it. Ugh!  NO power and backfiring..
Oops!  Left off the vac advance hose!  Anyone ever try to drive one of these
engines with NO advance?  It really doesn't work!  With the hose on the car
seemed to run better but its been Castrated.  STILL hard starting when hot
but it did start each time I tried,  just acted like it was trying to fire
back, it would crank slowly at times, better at others, then sounded like
detonation when it first lit.

Anyway, I pulled the engine and will tear it down for a rebuild, no need to
fret about running problems until I have some good Flat-tops in there but at
least the past 300 miles have given me a feel for the issues with running
domies with 93 octane.

Tranny is pissing oil out 3 little holes on the right side of the nosecone,
What are these?  Im going to try and plug them.  The Left axle seal is
leaking too. I remember it was a PITA to get on there, cant imagine why its
leaking but I gotta pull that apart.

Sigh!

Keith

Top Notch Restorations