[T3] The Crate's engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 31 20:03:28 PDT 2012

On 31 Aug 2012 at 21:59, Keith Park wrote:

> Well yesterday I knocked the timing back on the crate to 5BTDC as per Jim's
> suggestion and when I went to drive it. Ugh!  NO power and backfiring..
> Oops!  Left off the vac advance hose!  Anyone ever try to drive one of these
> engines with NO advance?  It really doesn't work!  With the hose on the car
> seemed to run better but its been Castrated.

You could  probably give it 5 deg MORE advance and it would be
stronger still. It's a compromise between power and longevity.
Doesn't this engine have a mechanical advance? Is it working? The
vacuum advance on most of our cars doesn't do anything most of the
time. I don't know about the Type 4 engine, but I assume it's much
the same.

Or is this your 1500S engine? If so, what is the stock timing
setting? My advance suggestion was for your Type 4 engine which you
were timing for 40 deg max mech advance. I'd like to see you try 35
and see if that helps the temp problem.

> Tranny is pissing oil out 3 little holes on the right side of the nosecone,
> What are these?  Im going to try and plug them.

Those are plugs for the spring loaded pins that do the shift rod
detents. Early cars had a sort of brown plastic/rubber plug, while
later ones were alum. They are usually hollow on the outside end, so
you can screw a tap in them and pull them out. If they are the early
soft ones, you might find a small ball bearing or BB that you could
force down that hole to expand the OD a bit. I'm not at all sure
about what constitutes a good solution here; just thinking out loud.

They don't usually leak; there's no pressure there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org