[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:29:14 PST 2012

Thanks Jim.  We have had family in town this week and I was unable to get
to the car today, but I appreciate all the input.  I found the grounds (as
suggested) to be on the center of the crankcase, consistent with mine being
a 1972 (I'm glad to know I at least hooked those up right 15 years ago when
I rebuilt the engine).

The problem occurs (when it does) at idle on a cold engine.  Although, just
because the engine is cold does not mean I'll have the issue, but when it
does happen, it is on a cold engine at idle.  Revving the engine up (no
matter how high) will not remedy the problem.  It just revs up the 2
cylinders.  You are correct with there being NO power when this happens.

Also, the problem always happens on the same two cylinders and, oddly
enough, when it happens to one it happens to both.  Thus, I never have had
the situation (that I know about) where it is running on three cylinders.
It is always 4 or 2.  I will try investigating the things you have
suggested and report back.  This week at work is looking busy, so I may not
get to it until next weekend.  Stay tuned . . .