[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 1 13:49:08 PST 2012

On 1 Dec 2012 at 11:46, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> My car has developed an issue lately where occasionally it will feel like
> it is running on two cylinders.  When it does this, I can pull the wires
> from the fuel injectors on cylinders 2 and 4 and notice no difference in
> the sound of the engine.  If I pull 1 or 3, I hear the RPM decrease and it
> sounds like it is running on only 1 (if that is even possible).  It is a
> 1972 Squareback with stock FI (except for Pertronix electronic ignition --
> which I plan to return to the stock set up soon).

Is this all the time, or just at idle. Sometimes we can get confused
by something that happens only at idle. It's not uncommon to have a
cylinder or 2 not fire normally, at idle with a cold engine. If this
is happening while driving, you would feel like you had almost NO
power.

It's not the Pertronix, because that would effect any or all
cylinders. It's probably also not the same ground problem as
Daniel's, because 68-9 injector grounds are different, and have their
own very special problems.

Certainly you can go around randomly cleaning up every connector in
sight, but you're actually more likely to do harm than good by this
approach. Likewise with fuses, of which NONE serve the FI
electronics.

Cylinders 2 & 4 don't point to any particular problem. If it's always
those 2, then there must be a problem with those cylinders. It could
be FI or it could be ignition, but IT MUST BE SOMETHING THAT'S NOT
SHARED IN COMMON WITH 1 & 3.

The first thing I would check would be the resistances of the spark
plug connectors on 2 & 4. They should measure ~1000 Ohms. If they
measure infinity, you've found your problem. Replace the bakelite
ends and you're back in business.

Also check the inside of your distributor cap and wipe off any
condensation you find in there.

If that doesn't do it, the next thing to check would be the tightness
of the female connectors onto the injector pins. To do this you have
to take the connectors apart. This takes patience and possibly a
special tool, for which a Bobby pin might work. You have to back the
2 pins out of the white plastic connector body and then check each
one to make sure it fits snugly onto the injector pins. If they are
loose, you can squeeze them VERY gently with pliers and tighten them
up. Be careful, don't get carried away, or you'll end up making extra
work for yourself.

If you find any of these to be loose, you're probably better off
working your way thru all 4 injector connectors. Yes, even the ones
that seem to be working okay most of the time. This is a fairly
common problem, because Bosch seems to have made replacement
injectors with slightly thinner pins starting around ?1980? Fixing
these connectors is quite a bit of fiddly work, but it's often very
rewarding.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org