[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 3 07:16:21 PST 2012

On 3 Dec 2012 at 7:00, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> The problem we're having is actually the ends of the wires fraying and
> weakening where they join the connectors.
>
> As far as I know, this is our car's first winter outside.....it came
> from Texas, spent a few years in a garage in Minnesota, and now lives
> in Brooklyn, NY. The cold has hastened the aging of the harness....the
> difference between the harness now and 3 months ago is drastic. It's
> very stiff, several connectors have snapped off, the boots are
> cracking, etc.

Cracking insulation and breaking wires are certainly a problem. Heat
causes the insulation to age and become brittle, and this is
compounded on engines that have cooling issues and have been running
extra hot. Cold makes the insulation even more brittle, so I avoid
working on the harnesses when they are cold. This applies even to
harnesses that are still in good condition.

Moving the '68-9 injector grounds to the center of the case is
certainly the way to go if you're investing in a new harness. This is
a very expensive proposition, so there's no point in repeating the
mistakes of the past.

Nevertheless, I hope you have someplace warm to install your new
harness, and I would avoid installing or working on the new one when
it's below 50 F.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org