[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 5 14:54:22 PST 2012

On 5 Dec 2012 at 13:15, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I'm not sure if this means anything, but it sure is some coincidence if it
> does not.  I measured the resistance of my spark plug wires.  The wires for
> cylinders 1 and 3 (where no misses) were about 800 ohms, whereas for
> cylinders 2 and 4, the resistance was around 1200 ohms.  I don't imagine
> that 400 ohms will make a difference, but I wanted to run these by you
> guys.  I have yet to conduct the other tests yet.

That's odd, but it shouldn't make any difference. The resistance
should all be in the end connectors, so you could take a look at each
of those and see if they are all Bosch, or perhaps a different brand.
Most brands have writing on the ends, with the maker's name and the
resistance. A 20% (or 50%) variation really won't change anything,
but they're usually closer than that.

Lots of variation is normal with the old style carbon core "wire"
where the resistance depended on the length, but those resistances
would typically be 10x - 25x higher, so that's not what you have.

Check inside your dist cap, to make sure that there's not a track
that is shorting out those 2 cylinders occasionally. Also clean dirt
off the outside of the cap, to make it a better insulator.

> When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the injector connectors.  I
> vaguely remember having to adjust them years ago and perhaps it is time
> for another adjustment.

I've never seen a readjustment be necessary. The first adjustment was
only necessary after replacement of the injectors with new ones with
very slightly thinner connector tabs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org