[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 14:57:01 PST 2012

About changing an entire wiring harness, and about cracked and dried up wire insulation and bad connections etc....It seems that where those wires enter into their protective harness sleeve, they turn flexible, not cracked and hard.

Over several years, I've done just about the whole engine (71 car w/ 73 std FI engine) with new wire sections up to and into the harness sleeves, and new connectors, and it seems to have made a lot of difference.  Yes, I tried just really cleaning up the connections first...but that didn't change much, as important as that is to do regularly.

I soldered the new wire sections (same gauge) to the old, and used shrink-wrap tubes to seal up the splices.  (Is there ANY electrical tape on earth that will work on hot oily VW engine wires?
   When cutting the old wire parts off, take care to mark the wire for where it goes...like at the triple wire plug to distributor, the injectors, the five wire plug to Throttle Valve Switch, etc..
Wires to Pressure Sensor seem ok because of not being on top of oily hot engine.

Does this technique pass muster from those who Really Know what they are doing?