[T3] rear quarter fixed window seals (cal-look) … help!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 9 08:58:55 PST 2012

On 9 Dec 2012 at 9:49, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/9/12 9:37:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> > Okay, I just checked the parts lists, and found some odd things, but
> >  nothing that would explain this problem.
> >
> >  For the popout fasty windows, there were 2 versions, early (-65) and
> >  late (66-70). L & R are the same in the same years.
>
> So you're saying that the L & R popout glass is the same for either side?

Yes, that's correct. For all popout years there are 2 versions, early
and late, but not left and right.

And for non-popout years, there were also only 2 versions: left and
right. But no changes for different years.

> I can't really see VW changing the tooling of the car, just to drop the
> popouts (make the opening different for stationary glass). Especially since the
> body was already designed to accept either.

I agree, especially since for some years there were options (M-codes)
to get popouts (or non-popouts) when most of the world got the other
version.

I had always assumed that those windows were all flat when closed,
but it's possible that the popouts curved in when closed and out when
open. If the stationary windows were stiffer, maybe it was necessary
to make them in curved versions, which would explain the L/R
differences in the stationary glass.

In squarebacks, those windows are all flat and there are just 2 glass

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org