[T3] rear quarter fixed window seals (cal-look) … help!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 9 09:26:46 PST 2012

On 9 Dec 2012 at 9:47, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Instead of using wire or thin rope to install the glass rubber into
> the opening, I have been using heavy smooth weed wacker string. It is
> strong and flexible. It does not damage the paint or cut the rubber.
> It slides easily.

You definitely don't want to use anything thin. That can cut the
gasket (been there, done that!) I'd think the weed wacker string
would be a little thinner than I'd like.

The best thing I've found is 1/4" cotton rope. It's rather large and
you can soak it in the soapy water solution before you start. The
large size pre-spreads the groove in the rubber, which helps, and the
fact that you can pre-soak it helps keep things slippery.

Bob suggested using a 12 gauge wire. He's referring to 12 gauge
insulated, stranded wire. It's not thin and it's slippery, so it
works pretty well, but I think the rope works a little better. The
rope is also more flexible, which helps a bit.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org