[T3] Chassis Number

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 9 09:58:01 PST 2012

On 9 Dec 2012 at 10:39, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> I need some help here. For some reason I cannot get it through my head
> when my car was manufactured. I keep researching; but it does not
> click.
>
> The number is 369079521.
>
> So, 36 = Squareback, 9 = 1969. Then was the chassis manufactured
> between 8/1/1968 to 12/31/1968.

9 means that it was a '69 model year, made sometime between 8/68 and
8/69. The 79,521 is a fairly early '69, probably made in dec '68 or
jan '69.

> Tracking the correct wiring schematic is proving difficult.
>
> The reason is I am having difficulty tracking down a short. The left
> turn signal slowly burns it fuse. The turn signal relay is a three
> prong relay. I don't think that was correct. Three Brown wires to
> Term. 31, two Blue wires to Term 48a, and One White wire to Term 49.

Your '69 would have come with a 4 terminal TS relay, which was
exactly the same as the '68 relay but with the addition of a ground
terminal. Those were both boxes that were about 3 x 3 x 1. They were
bolted to a member above the steering column and below the fresh air
boxes, so they always got soaked when the water drain tubes clogged
up and dripped water from the boxes.

I cured this by gluing a plastic sheet to the top of the relay. Sort
of a roof that overhung the sides so the water dripped off the edges
and not into the relay.

> I have been unable to locate a short in the wires and suspect the
> relay. I pulled it, remover the cover and discovered it had been full
> of water at one point. So I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and a
> small soft brush and put it back into service.
>
> I hate to throw a part at it; but this is the only compromised item
> discovered.
>
> Both right and left signals worked correctly until recently. The right
> side still works correctly.

The relay is used for both sides in exactly the same manner, so it
cannot be the problem. The TS switch has separate contacts for each
side; it's a  possibility, but it's probably not the problem.

The problem is most likely in the base of the LF turn signal light.
Water has gotten in there and you may find dirt and/or corrosion that
has accumulated around the base of the bulb. You will have to remove
the chrome base from the fender to cure this.

When you reinstall the bulb, put grease on the metal base and the
socket contacts. Don't get grease on the glass.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org