[T3] Chassis Number

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 9 10:42:52 PST 2012

On 9 Dec 2012 at 11:29, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Thank you Jim. That is what I thought, a four terminal relay.
> Sometimes I just need an acknowledgement that I am on the correct
> track.
>
> Had eliminated the nine terminal relay and there are two many wires
> for the three.

The relay with many terminals was only used in '66-67, I think. You
should not have the wires that it used. The '68-70 wiring diagram in
the Bentley manual should be right for you.

> I need to go out and see why the ungrounded three terminal relay is
> even working at all. It is a plastic square bosch unit.

If it's the 3x3x1 box then it's the '68 version, without a ground. If
it's 1x1x1 or 1x1x3, then it's a later version, probably the kind
that plugs in for '71-3.

> Might be a few days. Winter just hit, windy and cold in the fifties
> here. Should be nicer by Wednesday.

Snowing here today.... ;-p

> I will get the correct one in any event and mount it under the dash on
> the plate above the steering column.

I believe I have a good correct one here, or I can fix one, if given
some extra time. If you install one in the correct spot, make sure to
put a roof over it's head.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org