[T3] rear quarter fixed window seals (cal-look) . help!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 9 21:03:19 PST 2012

On 10 Dec 2012 at 2:28, Dave Hall wrote:

> There may be some confusion as up to '65, model numbers 311 to 314 were
> Notchbacks, and from '66 they became model numbers 315 to 318 and Fastbacks
> became 311 to 314.

I'd probably remember this if I was a notch person, but I'm pretty
solidly in the squareback camp. Why on earth didn't they just give
the fasty its own number when they introduced it?

> I think the seals must be post-formed after splicing - they may even have
> separately moulded corners, but I'll have to look in daylight.

The door weatherstrips have separately molded corners, but the window
moldings don't. I've always wondered how they managed the corners,
but perhaps it's possible to do something with them when the
extrusions are fresh. Some of the window gaskets seem to come with
corners already formed, but some don't. I'd guess that the OG parts
came with preformed corners, so that those parts were not
overstressed when installed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org