[T3] progress on running rich

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Dec 22 08:08:49 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:17 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] progress on running rich

On 21 Dec 2012 at 17:15, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Any way tighten up the nut and it jump back up over 14V.  The black
> smoke improved to where you really can't see it good on this video.

Good, nice catch.  ;-) That may have been the whole problem.

> I think the next thing to do is give the battery a charge then run the
> engine for an extended amount of time.

Right, but not at idle. It won't charge at idle. Take it for a drive.

> Still have an idle problem especially after the engine warms up.  You
> can try to adjust the idle control screw (I know I said it wrong in
> the
> video) but it makes no different how much it turns it changes nothing.
> I apologize for my stumbling over my words in the video it's been a
> long week.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opLj1uWG5q4

Okay, the idle is TOO LOW. It sounds like it may just be running on two
cylinders, but that may be fine once you get it on the road. Try spraying WD
40 thru the idle passage. You can see that drilling if you pull off the air
cleaner. It's on the left side of the IAD intake opening, just below the
idle adjustment screw.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Ok that's what I was leaning towards on those things too.  The test drive
will have to be restricted to school campus for now until I can get the
chance to bid on it and buy it back.  No tag or insurance right now all
though our body and collision instructor trades cars on the side and has a
dealer license and has dealer tags to go with that so I may could borrow one
of them for a day to be legal.  Another problem is the body shop is working
on the doors and quarters still so with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s
here it would be a cool ride now.  I have been taking a 4 way lug wrench and
propping it on the gas pedal and letting it run around 2000 RPMs or so. But
you are right it needs a good driving.

Dennis