[T3] progress on running rich

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 22 07:16:42 PST 2012

On 21 Dec 2012 at 17:15, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Any way tighten up the nut and it jump back up over 14V.  The black smoke
> improved to where you really can't see it good on this video.

Good, nice catch.  ;-) That may have been the whole problem.

> I think the next thing to do is give the battery a charge then run the
> engine for an extended amount of time.

Right, but not at idle. It won't charge at idle. Take it for a drive.

> Still have an idle problem especially after the engine warms up.  You
> can try to adjust the idle control screw (I know I said it wrong in the
> video) but it makes no different how much it turns it changes nothing.
> I apologize for my stumbling over my words in the video it's been a
> long week.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opLj1uWG5q4

Okay, the idle is TOO LOW. It sounds like it may just be running on
two cylinders, but that may be fine once you get it on the road. Try
spraying WD 40 thru the idle passage. You can see that drilling if
you pull off the air cleaner. It's on the left side of the IAD intake
opening, just below the idle adjustment screw.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org