[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Sun Dec 30 06:42:08 PST 2012

Hello Adriel. People are asking questions because they are trying to help
you solve your issue.

You KNOW Jim would have checked the pump before he sent it back to you, so
the pump is now good to go and your issue is within your car somewhere. YOU
know a lot about these cars, and YOU know what the most common reasons are
for a pump to not run, but your problem is more than that. You probably have
a hidden broken wire somewhere or a bad connection somewhere - and they can
be a real pain to find.. and if all you have available right now is just
common hand tools, then finding an electrical issue is going to be much
harder. You need an electrical reading tool (VOM or continuity tester) to
see where 12V exists and where it doesn't. If I were in your shoes, I would
go get a really cheap "screwdriver style" continuity tester from Harbor
Freight. It would go a very long way for diagnosing your issue.

And yes, you are correct - these cars require more maintenance than today's
cars. Just the fact that our VW's use ignition points, need regular fuel
filter changes and spark plug cleanings separates us from today's cars. And
then there are electrical issues that will show up on ANY 40 year old car.
These are things we all work with and quite frankly enjoy the tinkering.
Nobody wants to be stranded on the side of the road, so we do whatever we
can maintenance wise to prevent this..but it's no guarantee that any of us
will never break down. Gremlins like yours show up on these old
cars...that's just the way it is. Frustrating - YES......but remember there
will always be a reason for the problem; just gotta find it! J

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY